[D-Scribes List] My registration: Program: Digital Palaeography and Hebrew/Aramaic Scribal Culture

Schattner-Rieser, Ursula Ursula.Schattner-Rieser at uibk.ac.at
Fri Mar 26 11:05:03 CET 2021

Thank you very much !

Best regards,

Ursula

Priv.-Doz. Dr. Ursula Schattner-Rieser

Institut für Sprachwissenschaften

Leopold-Franzens-Universität Innsbruck

Ursula.Schattner-Rieser at uibk.ac.at & schattner.rieser at gmx.at

________________________________
Von: Schattner-Rieser, Ursula
Gesendet: Freitag, 26. März 2021 09:28
An: Isabelle Santaniello; mailinglist at d-scribes.org; d.g.longacre at rug.nl; d.g.longacre at rug.nl
Betreff: My registration: [D-Scribes List] Program: Digital Palaeography and Hebrew/Aramaic Scribal Culture

Hello,

thank you for the invitation to register.

I would like to join and ask you to register my demand.

Thank you very much.

Sincerly yours,

Ursula Schattner-Rieser

Ursula.Schattner-Rieser at uibk.ac.at & schattner.rieser at gmx.at

________________________________
Gesendet: Dienstag, 23. März 2021 18:47
An: mailinglist at d-scribes.org

Digital Palaeography and Hebrew/Aramaic Scribal Culture

The 2021 International Online Groningen Symposium

6–8 April 2021

13:00–20:00 Central European Summer Time (UTC+2)

Hosted by the

Qumran Institute (University of Groningen)

Bernoulli Institute (University of Groningen)

To register, please email Drew Longacre at d.g.longacre at rug.nl<mailto:d.g.longacre at rug.nl>.

A Zoom invitation will be sent to presenters and registered attendees on 5 April.

Tuesday, 6 April

13:00 CET       Jouke de Vries (President of the University of Groningen)

                        Welcome

                        Mladen Popović (University of Groningen)

                        Introduction

Session 1 — The Hands that Wrote the Bible: Digital Palaeography

Chair: Eibert Tigchelaar

13:15         Mladen Popović (University of Groningen)

Digital Palaeography for Identifying the Unknown Scribes and Dating the Undated Manuscripts from the Dead Sea Scrolls

13:45         Maruf Dhali (University of Groningen)

Artificial Intelligence and Pattern Recognition Techniques in Analyzing the Dead Sea Scrolls

14:15         Gemma Hayes (University of Groningen)

    Digital Palaeography and the Scribes of the Dead Sea Scrolls

14:45         Drew Longacre (University of Groningen)

Data Mining for Writer Identification: The Test Case of the Dead Sea Psalm Scrolls

15:15         Discussion

15:30–16:15    Break

Session 2 —  The Hands that Wrote the Bible: Radiocarbon Dating

Chair: Mladen Popović

16:15         Kaare Rasmussen (University of Southern Denmark)

The 14C Dating in the ERC project “The Hands that Wrote the Bible”: Chemical Aspects and the Cleaning of the Samples

16:45         Hans van der Plicht (University of Groningen)

The 14C Dating in the ERC project “The Hands that Wrote the Bible”: Physical Aspects and the Measurement of the 14C Content

17:15         Discussion

17:30–18:15    Break

Session 3 —  Hebrew/Aramaic Palaeography

Chair: Drew Longacre

18:15         Michael Langlois (University of Strasbourg)

Deciphering Ancient Hebrew and Aramaic Inscriptions in a Digital World: Potential and Limitations

18:45         James Moore (Humboldt Universität zu Berlin)

Toward a Systematic Description of the Imperial Aramaic Script and its Meaning for Dating and Writer Identification

PROJECT UPDATES

19:15         Bronson Brown-deVost (University of Göttingen)

Scripta Qumranica Electronica

19:30         Daniel Stoekl ben Ezra (École Pratique des Hautes Études)

eScripta

19:45         Sarah Yardney and Miller Prosser (University of Chicago)

    CEDAR/OCHRE

20:00   Conclusion

Wednesday, 7 April

13:00 CET       Welcome

Session 4 —  Digital Palaeography

Chair: Maruf Dhali

13:15         Lambert Schomaker (University of Groningen)

TBD

13:45         Peter Stokes (École Pratique des Hautes Études)

When is a Scribe Not a Scribe? Some Reflections on Writer Identification

14:15         Nachum Dershowitz (Tel Aviv University)

    Computational Paleography

14:45         Discussion

15:00–15:45    Break

Session 5 —  Digital Palaeography

Chair: Lambert Schomaker

15:45         Shira Faigenbaum-Golovin (Tel Aviv University)

Algorithmic Handwriting Analysis of Iron Age Documents and its Implications to the Composition of Biblical Texts

16:15         Hussein Mohammed (Universität Hamburg)

Pattern-Recognition Approaches for Handwriting-Style Analysis

16:45         Eythan Levy (Tel Aviv University) and Frédéric Pluquet (Haute École Louvain en Hainaut [HELHa] - Tournai and Ecole Supérieure d'Informatique [ESI] - Brussels)

New Developments in the Scrypt Software for Old Hebrew Epigraphy

17:15         Discussion

17:30–18:15    Break

Session 6 —  Hebrew/Aramaic Palaeography

Chair: Gemma Hayes

18:15         Judith Olszowy-Schlanger (University of Oxford)

Hebrew Palaeography Album: A New Online Tool to Study Medieval Hebrew Manuscripts

18:45         Elvira Martín-Contreras (Spanish National Research Council)<https://csic.academia.edu/>

Distinguishing Scribal Hands in the Masora of the Medieval Hebrew Bible Manuscripts

PROJECT UPDATES

19:15         Joe Uziel (Israel Antiquities Authority)

IAA projects

19:30         Isabelle Marthot-Santaniello (University of Basel)

D-Scribes

19:45         James Moore (Humboldt Universität zu Berlin)

       Elephantine

20:00   Conclusion

Thursday, 8 April

13:00 CET       Welcome

Session 7 —  Hebrew/Aramaic Palaeography and Textual Communities

Chair: Mladen Popović

13:15         Eibert Tigchelaar (KU Leuven)

Scribal Culture, Palaeography, and the Scrolls

13:45         Ayhan Aksu (University of Groningen)

Leaving No Scroll Unturned: Opisthographs and Scribal Culture of the Dead Sea Scrolls

14:15         Hanneke van der Schoor (KU Leuven)

Assessing Palaeographic Variation in Informal Manuscripts: The Scribe(s) of the Testament of Qahat and Visions of Amrame

14:45         Discussion

15:00–15:45    Break

Session 8 —  Hebrew/Aramaic Palaeography

Chair: Ayhan Aksu

15:45         Nadia Vidro (University College London)

Calendars from the Cairo Genizah as a Dating Tool for Palaeography

16:15         Estara J Arrant (University of Cambridge)

From Scholastic to Scribal: A Developmental Analysis of “Unprofessional” Square Hebrew Script from Cairo Genizah Bible Fragments

16:45         Elihu Shannon (Sofer STaM)

Why My Script is Different from My Teacher's

17:15         Discussion

17:30–18:15    Break

Session 9 —  Final Discussion Panels

Chairs: Drew Longacre and Maruf Dhali

18:15         Digital Palaeography Panel Discussion

18:45         Hebrew/Aramaic Palaeography and Scribal Culture Panel Discussion

19:15         Final Open Discussion

20:00   Conclusion

Drew Longacre
Postdoctoral Researcher
ERC Project, “The Hands that Wrote the Bible: Digital Palaeography and Scribal Culture of the Dead Sea Scrolls”
M +31 (0)6 40 15 33 45
d.g.longacre at rug.nl<mailto:d.g.longacre at rug.nl>

Faculty of Theology
University of Groningen